15N20 Carbon steel. High wear resistence and elasticity. Chemical composition: C:0.75 Si:0.30 Mn:0.40 Ni:2.00
Carbon steel 15N20 , this high niquel content steel, mainly used to make filleting knives and damascus. Easy to work, easy heat treatment.
Also used in combination with the 1095, 1075, O1 steel for the manufacture of Damascus steel.
Its main features:
- Hardness medium - high.
- High fatigue strength.
- High cutting edge retention.
- Up to 65 HRC.
- Good toughness.
Chemical composition (%): C:0.75 Si:0.30 Mn:0.40 Ni: 2.00
This steel is recommended both for beginners as professionals, the degree of difficulty of work is low.
Supplied annealed (soft), to facilitate the work.
- Forging : 950 to 1050 ° C. Very slow cooling in furnace or insulation materials (sand, salt, mica).
- Normalizing : 950 ° C. To eliminate the structural tensions caused by forging or roughing. Preferred time, 1 hour.
- Hardening (oil) : 800 a 850° C. Warming slow and progressive, keep at least 1 minute per millimeter. Cooling in oil cold, keep cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Hardness of 58 to 65 HRC.
- Tempering : a soft annealing is recommended at 350 ° C, for thicknesses up to 6 mm for 40 minutes. 59 To 61 HRC hardness.
Quenching and tempering is recommended in atmosphere conservative, see tempered blade.
This is the recommended thermal treatment, there are others. Temperatures, times or form of realization of it, depending on your needs you can vary or experience in such process.
MATERIAL CUT THROUGH MECHANICAL PROCESS MAY HAVE BENT (NOT COMPLETELY FLAT).