5160 Carbon steel. Good resistance and machining. Chemical composition: C:0.60 Cr:0.90 Si:0.30 Mn:1.00
5160 carbon steel, this steel is used to manufacture knives. Easy to work, with very good results.
Its main features:
- Good Resistance.
- Medium hardness.
- Average cutting edge retention.
- Up to 62 HRC
- High machinability.
Chemical composition (%): C:0.60 Cr:0.90 Si:0.30 Mn:1.00
This steel is recommended both for beginners as professionals, the degree of difficulty of work is low.
Supplied annealed (soft), to facilitate the work.
- Forging: 950 to 1200°C. Very slow cooling in furnace or insulation materials (sand, salt, mica).
- Normalizing: 897°C. To eliminate the structural tensions caused by forging or roughing. Preferred time, 1 hour.
- Hardening (oil): 830°C, maintain at least 1 minute per millimeter. 62 HRC hardness.
- Tempering: 200ºC reached the temperature keep 10 minutes per mm, the minimum recommended time is 55 minutes. With a temperature of 200°C, we obtain 59-61 HRC.
Recommended carry out annealing and tempering in conservative atmosphere, by its high des-carburized, see tempered blade. This is the recommended thermal treatment, there are others. Temperatures, times or form of realization of it, depending on your needs you can vary or experience in such process.
MATERIAL CUT THROUGH MECHANICAL PROCESS MAY HAVE BENT (NOT COMPLETELY FLAT).