Pack 1095 steel
10 x (0.8x40x1000mm). Special for damascus.
Carbon steel 1095 , this simple alloy steel, used to make knives and swords. Easy to work, with very good results. In addition to having a very easy heat treatment, this is another of steels which are recommended for beginners, although it is widely used to manufacture cutlery by professionals.
Also used in combination with the 15N20 steel for the manufacture of Damascus steel.
Its main features:
- Hardness medium - high.
- Medium cutting edge retention.
- Up to 67 HRC.
- High machinability.
Chemical composition (%):
C:0.95-1.05 Si:0.25 Mn:0.70
This steel is recommended both for beginners as professionals, the degree of difficulty of work is low.
Supplied annealed (soft), to facilitate the work.
- Forging : 850 to 1050 ° C. Very slow cooling in furnace or insulation materials (sand, salt, mica).
- Normalizing : 850 ° C. To eliminate the structural tensions caused by forging or roughing. Preferred time, 45 minutes.
- Hardening (oil) : 900 ° C. Warming slow and progressive, keep at least 1 minute per millimeter. Cooling in oil cold, keep cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Hardness of 58 to 67 HRC.
- Tempering : a soft annealing is recommended at 380 ° C, for thicknesses up to 6 mm for 30 minutes. 57 To 62 HRC hardness.
Quenching and tempering is recommended in atmosphere conservative, see tempered blade.
This is the recommended thermal treatment, there are others. Temperatures, times or form of realization of it, depending on your needs you can vary or experience in such process.
MATERIAL CUT THROUGH MECHANICAL PROCESS MAY HAVE BENT (NOT COMPLETELY FLAT).